The BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management is designed to help plan, execute and evaluate employee’s workloads as well as your own. With this course you will learn to communicate and support individuals and teams to meet organisational or enterprise requirements and strategies.
This qualification is tailored towards students who want to learn the tools and techniques to display initiative and judgement in the planning implementation and management of organisational requirements. Students wanting to develop further their skills can enrol into the BSB60420 Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management.
There is 15 hours of scheduled class time each week which is planned to provide a mixture of practical and theoretical components, and includes unit related research, skills development, and assessment projects, plus 5 hours of scheduled online learning each week.
In addition, the course requires approximately 10 hours per week of private study for completion of assignments and set homework tasks.
Assessment will be conducted individually. Students will receive full description, instructions and resources for each unit of competency. Assessment methods used for this qualification includes written questions, projects, case studies, role plays, research and reports.
The BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management requires the completion of 12 units (including 6 core units and 6 electives). Core, and elective units chosen, are as follows:
|BSBCRT511||Develop critical thinking in others|
|BSBPEF502||Develop and use emotional intelligence|
|BSBLDR523||Lead and manage effective workplace relationships|
|BSBCMM511||Communicate with influence|
|BSBOPS502||Manage business operational plans|
|BSBTWK502||Manage team effectiveness|
|BSBSTR501||Establish innovative work environments|
|BSBTR502||Facilitate continuous improvement|
|ICTICT517||Match ICT needs with the strategic direction of the organisation|
|ICTICT532||Apply IP, ethics and privacy in ICT environments|
|BSBWHS521||Ensure a safe workplace for a work area|
This course is available to international applicants who can provide evidence that they:
- Have an Australian Student Visa, subclass 500. Refer to the government website for Information about applying: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-
- Have completed and been found competent in all core units of Diploma of Marketing and Communication.
- Have completed year 12 or equivalent.
- Are over the age of 18.
Applicants must meet the English proficiency requirements as follows:
- English Language Tests Evidence:
- IELTS Test Score of 5.5 or equivalent
- IELTS Test score less than 5.5 needs to be packaged with the required amount of English ELICOS study.
- Test results must be no more than 2 years old.
- English Language Evidence Exemptions:
- Be a citizen and hold a passport from the UK, the USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland; or
- Be an applicant who is a foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored student or a Secondary Exchange student (AASES); or
- Have completed at least 5 years study in English in one or more of the following countries: Australia, the UK, the USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland; or
- In the 2 years before applying, completed in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.
- The applicant must:
- Have successfully passed the Ruby Institute English Placement test, or
- Have successfully completed General English at Upper Intermediate level, or
- Have successfully completed their year 12 or equivalent in the English language.
Applicants must also:
- Complete a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment to demonstrate that they have the required level of LLN skills required prior to course commencement.
- Have their own computer with 5G Internet connectivity (a minimum reliable speed of 5Mbps is recommended) and have the following programs installed:
- Google Chrome Web Browser
- Latest Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Latest Microsoft Office Suite.
- Attain an Overseas Student Health Cover as part of their visa requirements.
- Students who do not meet the entry requirements will not be accepted into this program.
- All the entry requirements must be met before a confirmation of enrolment (COE) can be provided. However, if you cannot provide evidence of English Language proficiency, you may be issued with a conditional letter of offer based on you successfully completing the required English language course
Ruby Institute can grant you credit towards your course for units of competency or modules that you have already completed with another RTO or authorised issuing organisation. We can also grant you Credit for subjects or units you have completed where equivalence can be established between the unit/ module in your course, and the subject or unit you have completed. For more information, please refer to the Student Handbook.
To apply, fill in the Credit Application Form, and submit it as part of your enrolment/application.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process where skills and knowledge that you have gained through work and life experience and other unrecognised training can be formally recognised. You should ideally apply for RPL at the time of enrolment, but you may also apply up to 2 weeks into your course.
During the entry process, stage Ruby Institute will discuss with you the process and options for RPL. Suitability is often determined on how much experience you have in a certain area, your work history and previous training. If RPL is determined as a possibility for you, you will be provided with a kit that will guide you in working through each unit to determine relevant skills and experience and identify whether you would be able to provide the required evidence.
A trainer/assessor will be available to assist you throughout this process.
Please refer to the Student Handbook or contact our Admissions Team for more information on RPL and applicable fees.
Once you have successfully completed the BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management you can apply for jobs as a manager or team leader in a range of industry areas. Job titles may include:
- Departmental Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Team Leader
The further study pathways available to students who undertake this qualification include: